Friday, October 21, 2011

Too early for resolutions?

Well, back from my English Language Arts province-wide annual conference.  I admit, it was actually very good this year and it actually made me feel a little bad about yesterday's post.

The conference was well organized, efficiently run, clearly communicated, well presented.  And, inspiring to boot.  I left there (a little early, in typical teacher fashion) with a folder full of great ideas and a sudden rush to update my courses, finish my marking, and generally be an even better version of me. 

I love teaching and I love my students. I believe I'm a much better teacher than I was 5 years ago. But after conferences like these, I leave with this new energy to bring even more of myself to my classes, to improve my practice, to produce better writers and more literate writers, to get my marking done sooner and make the feedback much more meaningful.

As a byproduct of this teaching inspiration, though, I find myself suddenly wanting to improve myself on a vast array of fronts.  I came home and walked my much-neglected dog, Pekoe. I organized my bills.  I tidied up the shoe-rack and dealt with my overdue emails. 

And I thought of a number of other things I think I could be doing, to improve as a whole-person. Eating healthier, for instance. Reading more.  Exercising. And then I remembered - it's only October! Far too early for resolutions, I think. I mean, it is, right?

So, I'll stick to trying to make sure I keep the leash handy and take my Pekoe for a walk most days. Oh, and - er - the teaching stuff too. Some of it, anyway.

No comments:

Post a Comment