Wednesday, October 19, 2011

High Heels

Click-click, click-click, click-click.
This is me walking down the hallway at work. I believe I'm the only teacher at this school to wear heels on a regular basis. Students always laugh and say they can hear me coming from across the school. There's no sneaking up on a misbehaving student, that's for sure!

Click-click, click-click, click-click.

I also think it's disruptive in class, when they're writing a test or working on a project. Anytime I cross the room to help someone, there's this very rhythmic, fairly loud, undoubtedly distracting noise.

Click-click, click-click, click-click.

"Why do you wear heels, anyway?" Students have asked on a number of occasions. I try to explain. The husband likes heels on me - he's fairly tall, and I think he likes me a little taller too. (Plus he just likes the look of heels on me, but I don't tell them that part.) Also, I feel like they finish the outfit and give it a more polished look. Being fairly petite (5'1), with proportionately short legs, means I feel a little child-like in flats. And I can't really switch between flats and heels, since most of my pants are shortened to fit with one height of shoe (in this case, heels). When I wear flats, my pants drag along the ground, getting dirty and tattered. So, I wear heels. And although heels aren't terribly comfortable, they're okay because I'm used to them: the worst part, as I've mentioned, is the noise.

Click-click, click-click, click-click.

So what I'm left wondering is where on earth can I find comfortable, quiet, professional-looking, closed-toe heels? I wonder if they even make them. Sometimes, when students are writing a particularly grueling test, I'll take my shoes off and pad around in my socks, so I'm not so distracting. This technique is also useful in checking on groups working in the hall - your know, to maintain the element of surprise. But sock-feet, I suspect, are even less polished looking than flats, and I do limit this kind of behaviour. 

I wonder who invented the high-heel shoe. And I wonder if I should be grateful (it certainly does make me taller - not to mention doing very nice things for the calves) or furious! (who thought walking around with our feet at such an angle was a good idea?) And did they always make women's high heels out of such hard material??

Click-click, click-click, click-click.

No comments:

Post a Comment